Enter a Genus (eg Ocimum) or genus and species (eg Ocimum basilicum).
Help with searching scientific names
? will match a single character. * will match any number of characters. Use at least three letters in the genus name if you include a ? or *.
Examples of searches that will work
- Use Vicia faba to locate this name (and any infraspecific names associated with it).
- Use Schusterella to locate all names in this genus.
- Use Taxaceae to see the Taxaceae family page.
- Use Quercus a* to locate all names in the genus Quercus that have a species name beginning with the letter "a".
- Use Psilo* to locate all names in any genera which begin with the letters "Psilo".
- Use Orchis a????? to locate all names in the genus Orchis which have a species name of exactly six letters, the first of which is the letter "a".
- Use M?cro* to locate all names in any genera whose names begin with "Micro" or "Macro".
- Use http://ipni.org/urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:295763-1 or 295763-1 to go directly to the name with that IPNI identifier.
Examples of searches that will not work
- La* is not a valid search string, since at least three letters are required when a ? or * is in the genus.
- Neither *ubus nor ?ubus are valid search strings since each begins with a wildcard.
- Using Vicia sativa var. sativa will return all names that would be found using Vicia sativa rather than just those infraspecific names matching the full string.